What a day! Not only have I baked off over 125 cookies today, I finished my Christmas shopping, and gathered all the groceries for our Christmas Eve Meal! Getting up early to beat the crowds to the mall and the grocery store was definitely the way to go!
But anyway, on to more important things…. cookies!!!!!
Don’t they look yummy! These cookies have been my all time favorite sugar cookie recipe EVER! The recipe comes from a family friend, Maggie! Maggie and her husband, Bob, used to live right across the street from us when I was little, and she frequently took care of me. I remember helping her make these cookies as a little girl, and to this day I make a point to make a batch every December. They are SO fun to make and so vibrant with the colored sprinkles on top!
I just also recently learned that the sugar cookie recipe has been around for many years in Maggie’s family. It actually came from Maggie’s mother’s Hungarian next door neighbor! Needless to say, I am very grateful the next door neighbor shared her recipe, because the cookies are absolutely delicious!
Maggie’s Sugar Cookie Recipe
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter/ margarine, softened
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tarter
- 4 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- Colored sugar
- Cream the butter and sugars together in a stand mixer on medium speed until light, fluffy, and smooth.
- Add the oil, eggs, and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, sift all of the dry ingredients together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter-sugar mixture and mix by hand with a wooden spoon.
- If the dough is too wet, refrigerate dough until it is a little stiffer and will roll easily into balls.
- Take about 1 tablespoon worth of the dough and roll into a ball. Place on an un-greased cookie sheet about 1 inch apart.
- Press colored sugar into dough (explanation below).
- Bake cookies at 375 degrees for 6 – 8 minutes. Cookies will have barely any brown color.