Nothing beats the decadence and gooeyness of a double chocolate chip brownie.
I mean, look at it! You can’t help but want to take a big bite out of one of those! A hint of espresso really amps up the dark chocolate flavor. But do you want to know the REAL secret of these brownies? They are vegan, and have a hint of fiber!
Being a RD in the making, I just had to add a bit of whole grain nutrition to the mix. Then you don’t feel so bad about eating one… or two. I’ll just pretend it cancels out a bit of the “butter”that these brownies are loaded with. These are so simple to make and if you’re dedicated, you can have rich, warm and delicious brownies right out of the oven in less than an hour, guaranteed!
Vegan Double Chocolate Chip Brownies
Adapted from Cooking Light 2008
- 1.5 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 5 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 6 tablespoons Earth Balance buttery spread, melted
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips